Once upon a time here at FerretBrain we had a theme for things we didn't like very much. It rapidly became bloated and essentially meaningless because it turned out there was an extensive and disparate range of things we didn't like very much.
The Axis of Awful works slightly differently to our other themes. Each contributor is invited to select only a single item for it (although they can change it at any time). It therefore represents the absolute shining pinnacle of atrocity. Of all the texts explored, reviewed, and thrown at the wall in disgust at Ferrebrain find here the very worst, the most despised, the absolute cream of the crap. Tread lightly, readers, for even angels are afraid.
- You Wonder What The Author Was Thinking by Sonia Mitchell Sonia learns an important moral lesson about impulse buying, with Charles Stross's Halting State.
- One Man's Burning Hatred for Anime by Rude Cyrus Cyrus displays something that looks suspiciously like masochism.
- Fail of the Lich King by Wardog Wardog critical hits Arthas: Rise of the Lich King, the World of Warcraft tie in novel, for 4000 points of damage.
- And Then There Were None by Viorica In which characters are obnoxious, writing is awful, and the reviewer curses whoever greenlit this crap.
- Collectible Wizard Slash Is Less Fun Than It Sounds by Shim Shim exposes the tangled innards of Wizardology: the board game to the cold light of day
- Pedo Snore Screed of a Octafish by Arthur B Sheri S. Tepper's The Waters Rising is sufficient cause to fire the entire editorial staff at Gollancz and HarperCollins, and no credible SF or fantasy publisher should accept her work until she apologises for it.
- City of Celluloid by Dan H Dan has seen the City of Bones movie.
- The Reading Canary: Chaos Sucking by Robinson L Robinson L tears into the second and third books of Patrick Ness' "Chaos Walking" trilogy