No relation to Dan H (although he was the first person Raymond read on this site), Raymond H currently teaches Middle School in Japan, though he aspires to be a novelist and translator (the fool). He's very thankful to be given the opportunity to contribute to this site and hopes to do well by the people here.
- at 10:27 on 14-06-2018 link Devoutly? That's...not the word I would have used. I mean, he wanted to be a Nichiren Buddhist priest before a fellow clergymen convinced him to write. And he was actually quite critical on the subject of the Christian afterlife. Miyazawa sympathized with Christianity, due to both it and Nichiren Buddhism stressing the importance of self-sacrifice and making the world a better place. However, he ultimately disagreed on the Christian idea that, once you've done these things and died, you are rewarded with he...
at 10:49 on 13-06-2018
In all seriousness though, your condolences are appreciated. I don't think I'm going to be deported just yet, although I may be barred from the restaurant for life. Considering the two options though I am okay with this. I'll keep y'all updated.
manga by and large displays a much greater number and diversity thereof than anime.Yeah, I think that's honestly just because you can get away with more in manga than anime, since one is printed and the other broadcasted. <...
- at 23:18 on 12-06-2018 link Well, on the bright side, I found this, which led me to this.
- at 12:23 on 11-06-2018 link Hey gang! I'm back! Sorry 'bout that! This week I was stricken with a cold, pushed to give up a potential job offer, beleaguered by bureaucratic loan-consolidators, hit by a car, forced to break up with my girlfriend, laughed and mocked at by someone I opened up to concerning a childhood trauma, threatened with assault charges after I threw some water in said someone's face, and almost fired and deported on the spot. Only one of those things is a lie. On the subject of furry anime, I guess any anim...
- at 12:03 on 05-06-2018 link Yes! All according to my diabolical plan!
- at 12:31 on 03-06-2018 link Funny you should say that. I got a gay, Black, furry, nihilist, paranoid schizophrenic best friend who adores Feneko. He doesn't even like girls, but he likes Feneko.
- at 01:31 on 03-06-2018 link Ah, also, I'm not entirely sure what the building itself was called. I just know that every Sunday people would gather there to do Quaker-things, and it looked kind of like a church, and apparently the official name was Stout Meetinghouse so you're absolutely right.
- at 00:47 on 03-06-2018 link I understand the concern, and yet I would say that's where the cutesy Sanrio aesthetic comes in handy. By coating everything in a layer of saccharine, chibi cuteness, Aggretsuko manages to be biting, but never bitter. If it strikes too close to home for you, I understand, but I'd say it manages to deal with depressing themes without ending up depressing itself.
at 04:11 on 02-06-2018
Also, now I'm deeply curious about what sort of Quaker institute has a campus church which celebrates Sunday mass. Not saying I find it unbelievable, just saying I really want to hear that story.Wait...I just looked it up, and apparently mass is a predominantly Catholic term. Quakers have meetings for worship. Man I'm bad at this whole Christian thing! I guess that's just what happens when your grandparents are Baptist, your parents are Catholic, you were baptized Method...
- at 12:15 on 01-06-2018 link Well, it usually was their parents' account, so they still weren't paying for it. Uh...yeah. I am reminded of a quote by George Orwell: "In addition to this there is the horrible — the really disquieting — prevalence of cranks wherever Socialists are gathered together. One sometimes gets the impression that the mere words "Socialism" and "Communism" draw towards them with magnetic force every fruit-juice drinker, nudist, sandal-wearer, sex-maniac, Quaker, "Nature Cure" quack, pacifist, ...
- at 09:44 on 31-05-2018 link Enh, this was Senior year, and I remember back in Freshman year, people's ideas of how to protest capitalism was to Netflix their movies, rather than patronizing the local ma and pop rental place. So, I mean, I guess this was an improvement..."shrugs"
- at 12:08 on 30-05-2018 link Yeah, my real gripe with those people was how they believed any amount of paying for anime or manga on their part was enabling "corporate greed", because, as their line of thinking went, if manga tankobon only cost 100 yen in Japan (which they don't) then clearly the only reason they're more expensive in America is that fatcat CEO's want to squeeze the proletariat of their hard-earned money. Honestly I feel bad for Mononoke. If Cinedigm is the one to pick up the DVD, that means not only wa...
- at 13:25 on 29-05-2018 link Oh, yeah. Heheheh...you know I still don't know if that was real or not (some people say it was a fake). Ah, I still remember those College Anime Club people, who swore that the only way to truly appreciate anime was through fan-subs, because official subtitles were licensed by The Man.
at 11:31 on 29-05-2018
My understanding (as someone who does not watch very much anime) is that dub quality with respect to anime has come forwards in leaps and bounds over recent years.I would agree, to a certain extent. However, I think this progress has come with its own set of problems, which is perhaps best exemplified through the shifting of what I would refer to as Sturgeon's Glut (the cruddy 90% of any art form). When it comes to older dubs, the Glut mainly consists of bowlderized and sanitiz...
- at 06:56 on 29-05-2018 link Playpen post since I don't think there's enough I have to say about this show for a full article, but Aggretsuko is really great. It's been a while since I found an English dub that made me smile the way this one does. As a translation geek it annoys me to no end when people either try to not translate mythical or cultural shorthand at all, or do it with clunky footnotes, or simply steamroll over the shorthand with a sanitized localization (yummy jelly donuts!), as opposed to finding a dynamic equi...
- at 00:37 on 21-05-2018 link Happy belated greeting! (It's been a busy weekend)