Arthur started a blog (new defunct) initially to make fun of Dan getting a blog. And then started posting in it. Then he started posting stuff here instead. Then an alarming amount of time passed and he ended up as Ferretbrain's second editor after Wardog passed on the torch. He also maintains a blog at Refereeing & Reflection, where he drones on about roleplaying games in way more detail than a general audience would care about.
- Bryan Fuller's Three-Course Meal (Not For Vegetarians) As showrunner for Hannibal, Bryan Fuller took the Thomas Harris oeuvre and ran amok with it.
- Disciplined Anthologies The two Disciples of Cthulhu anthologies have a fine reputation. Is it merited?
- Alan Moore's Yuggoth Pastiches Here's that overview of Alan Moore's recent Cthulhu Mythos stuff you wanted. Mild content warning: Moore likes to use rape for shock value, there's extensive discussion of that here.
- Starry Wisdom, Vapid Songs Being an overview of the Cthulhu Mythos anthologies of Creation Books.
- A Few Non-Spoilery Things I Can Tell You About Solo (and One Minor Spoiler) The fandom debate over the new Star Wars movie will doubtless be breaking out over the next few days, but here's an initial salvo.
- Cronenberg's Cathode-Ray Puzzle Boxes Arrow Video's rerelease of Videodrome and David Cronenberg's early work revives both an old classic and some long-lost enigmas.
at 21:25 on 04-06-2018
I binged Aggretsuko over the weekend, it's pretty fun.permalink
at 10:29 on 01-06-2018
At the risk of sounding like an Internet grandpa... kids these days don't even know how to pirate right.permalink
at 12:08 on 29-05-2018
I'm reminded of the whole "Keikaku means plan" thing, which presumably came about because a fansubber was just very slightly too chicken to just plain use "plan" in that context.permalink
at 10:15 on 29-05-2018
My understanding (as someone who does not watch very much anime) is that dub quality with respect to anime has come forwards in leaps and bounds over recent years. I've been watching ...permalink
at 10:21 on 18-05-2018
Welcome back. :Dpermalink
at 08:40 on 25-04-2018
I'd personally go with Midnight Sun or Ancient Images out of that lot. Or possibly The Count of Eleven if you're up for something with a really dark sense of humour.permalink
- 12:02, 15-07-2018 on Why Perfect Blue is Terrifying: An Addendum:
As I understand it that's actually a goof in the English dub - it was meant to be Mima saying it but they had Rumi's voice actre...permalink
- 21:09, 08-07-2018 on Disciplined Anthologies:
I'd say they were more established as specifically Mythos authors; Leiber, you're correct, had enjoyed a much longer career, but...permalink
- 12:26, 08-07-2018 on F91 and the Problem with Gundam Pacifism:
So first off, for those of you who have never heard of Gundam or who know the name but don't know the details, the o...permalink
- 11:25, 28-06-2018 on The Fouling of the Howling:
Yeah, we're not talking just one appearance on a video either - quick search suggest they're making videos together on the regul...permalink
- 15:21, 27-06-2018 on The Fouling of the Howling:
I think being buddy-buddy with Sargon of Akkad puts you beyond "kinda" going to the dark side.permalink
- 22:52, 25-06-2018 on We Need to Talk About Conan:
I think you may be right that we aren't necessarily meant to see Conan as an unalloyed good in that story - after all, there's a...permalink