Arthur started a blog (new defunct) initially to make fun of Dan getting a blog. And then started posting in it. Then he started posting stuff here instead. Then an alarming amount of time passed and he ended up as Ferretbrain's second editor after Wardog passed on the torch. He also maintains a blog at Refereeing & Reflection, where he drones on about roleplaying games in way more detail than a general audience would care about.
- The Films of Charles Dexter Ward Two Lovecraft adaptations, decades apart, both get it wrong in different ways.
- Machen Fairies Grim Again A look at the work of Arthur Machen, through the lens of Chaosium's classic three-volume collection of his weird fiction.
- Lovecraft's Last Apprentices Robert Bloch and Henry Kuttner went on to have distinguished writing careers after learning their craft at Grandpa Howard's knee.
- The Sophisticated Soavi Michele Soavi's four major feature films represent a late high water mark for Italian horror.
- When He's Right He's Right, When He's Wrong He's Frank Belknap Wrong Frank Belknap Long is mostly known as a friend of Lovecraft's, but is his own writing any good?
- Lumley's Little Bites A cross-section of Brian Lumley's short stories reveals a career more diverse than Cthulhu Mythos rehashes and endless Necroscope sequels.
at 23:38 on 01-03-2017
at 08:43 on 20-01-2017
That all sounds interesting!permalink
at 16:48 on 07-01-2017
I don't know - setting aside Anna Foerster's butt preferences, there may well have been orders from on high to ensure a certain level of butt shots. The Underworld folk know their audie...permalink
at 17:25 on 06-01-2017
I need to see when it's coming out here so I can indulge my secret shame (which very much isn't secret and I'm not really ashamed of).permalink
- at 23:13 on 03-01-2017 permalink
at 13:46 on 23-12-2016
It is a possibility. I may wait until he's done with it and moved on to some new hobby horse so I can do the whole lot at once.permalink
- 12:38, 18-03-2017 on When He's Right He's Right, When He's Wrong He's Frank Belknap Wrong:
I can post you the book if you like, I'm not going to reread it and you can be amused by the cheap production values.permalink
- 17:31, 16-03-2017 on Musings on Race in Fantasy or: Why Ron Weasley isn't Black:
Interesting to see this one pop out of the archives, seeing how, whilst Ron is still not black in Harry Potter and the Cursed...permalink
- 22:07, 12-03-2017 on Machen Fairies Grim Again:
I get that to a certain extent, but he seems to combine that awareness with a certain paternalism. There literally isn't a singl...permalink
- 10:57, 11-03-2017 on Machen Fairies Grim Again:
Ah, but Ambrose/Machen doesn't say that this stuff was evil because it was based on flinging curses at people, does he? Moreover...permalink
- 08:24, 10-03-2017 on Machen Fairies Grim Again:
N is not included, I'm afraid.
Likewise, you seem to miss the nuance of how Ambrose distinguishes wh...permalink
- 08:39, 02-03-2017 on Lumley's Little Bites:
I have it too but if you're keen to review it then I say go for it.permalink