Arthur started a blog (new defunct) initially to make fun of Dan getting a blog. And then started posting in it. Then he started posting stuff here instead. Then an alarming amount of time passed and he ended up as Ferretbrain's second editor after Wardog passed on the torch. He also maintains a blog at Refereeing & Reflection, where he drones on about roleplaying games in way more detail than a general audience would care about.
- Kickstopper: Turning the Lights Out On Those Who Most Need Them The Cthulhu Dark RPG has its heart in the right place, but unintentionally ends up tripping over its own conflicting aims.
- Freddy Kreuger's Forgotten Elder Brother The Slayer did the whole "dream-based" slasher movie thing years before Nightmare On Elm Street made a franchise out of it.
- Marsh's Beetle Gets Bogged Down What do scarabs do when not rolling poop? According to Richard Marsh, they bother politicians.
- Shadow of WTF Middle Earth: Shadow of War is essentially Fanfic: the Videogame.
- Lose 1D100 Sanity Points For Watching This Movie Skullduggery is by far the weirdest D&Dsploitation movie from the Satanic Panic scare.
- Clotheslining the 1% They Live is more relevant than ever.
at 20:37 on 13-01-2018
how does Luke's last stand impact the galaxy? Is the GFFA a place where oral tradition is super powerful?Why would you expect to have a definitive answer on this ... permalink
at 09:39 on 12-01-2018
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression from the movie was that all those people heard Leia's call for help, but they chickened out of sending any assistance for some r...permalink
at 15:21 on 10-01-2018
Not at all - there were numerous sympathisers across the galaxy who they tried to contact for support, but who weren't able to send anything. That network by itself will allow the Resistance t...permalink
at 13:50 on 10-01-2018
Is it not the case that a non-speaking cast member will intrinsically seem less important in a movie because the very nature of the format puts attention on characters who actually say shit an...permalink
at 09:53 on 10-01-2018
But nope: if you're a non-speaking cast member, you're useless. The resistance only needs like 10 people to survive.Hang on, don't numerous non-speaking cast memb... permalink
at 10:46 on 06-01-2018
Holy fuck, they actually put that in an Expanded Universe thing? That's abhorrent. :( I will stick to vicariously enjoying Expanded Universe material through the hilarious Expounde...permalink
- 22:18, 18-01-2018 on Kickstopper: Turning the Lights Out On Those Who Most Need Them:
In terms of there being no way to be a good ending - it's basically Walmlsey playing up to a very specific vision of how cosmic ...permalink
- 21:59, 18-01-2018 on Kickstopper: Turning the Lights Out On Those Who Most Need Them:
Without wanting to kick off a long political digression, I’d argue the age of austerity constitutes constant i...permalink
- 10:02, 09-01-2018 on Cakes on a Train:
Woo, welcome back Sonia! It's good to see you (er, read you) again. Johnny Depp makes a suitably crawly businessman ...permalink
- 15:53, 26-12-2017 on The Greatest Empire That (maybe) Never Was a Novel:
Readers wanting to compare and contrast our impressions can find my review of this <a href="http://ferretbrain.com/articles/arti...permalink
- 22:38, 24-12-2017 on Dissecting Lovecraft Part 3: You Never Forget Your First Dunsany:
Oh, I definitely think he was working through some stuff there, though whether it was an immediate crisis or whether it was stuf...permalink
- 16:55, 24-12-2017 on Dissecting Lovecraft Part 3: You Never Forget Your First Dunsany:
It isn't really a sideline though, is it? It's the immediacy of Jermyn's ape ancestry which takes it from being an intellectual ...permalink