Arthur started a blog (new defunct) initially to make fun of Dan getting a blog. And then started posting in it. Then he started posting stuff here instead. Then an alarming amount of time passed and he ended up as Ferretbrain's second editor after Wardog passed on the torch. He also maintains a blog at Refereeing & Reflection, where he drones on about roleplaying games in way more detail than a general audience would care about.
- at 21:25 on 04-06-2018 link I binged Aggretsuko over the weekend, it's pretty fun.
- at 10:29 on 01-06-2018 link At the risk of sounding like an Internet grandpa... kids these days don't even know how to pirate right.
- at 12:08 on 29-05-2018 link I'm reminded of the whole "Keikaku means plan" thing, which presumably came about because a fansubber was just very slightly too chicken to just plain use "plan" in that context.
- at 10:15 on 29-05-2018 link My understanding (as someone who does not watch very much anime) is that dub quality with respect to anime has come forwards in leaps and bounds over recent years. I've been watching a lot of Italian movies lately, and the interesting thing about them is that the dub vs. sub question there is very different because of the way they were produced back in their heyday: since most productions had international casts anyway, they just had everyone speak their lines in whichever language they were most c...
- at 10:21 on 18-05-2018 link Welcome back. :D
- at 08:40 on 25-04-2018 link I'd personally go with Midnight Sun or Ancient Images out of that lot. Or possibly The Count of Eleven if you're up for something with a really dark sense of humour.
- at 19:32 on 02-04-2018 link Kickstopper fans may like to know I've put another one up on my RPG-related blog, since the subject matter (a third-party supplement for a less-popular setting for Call of Cthulhu) is niche enough that I don't think the article belongs here.
- at 21:10 on 25-01-2018 link I am absolutely pro-Le Guin. I've been working my way slowly towards doing a review of the lesser-known Hainish materials and should probably shunt that up the priority list.
at 20:37 on 13-01-2018
how does Luke's last stand impact the galaxy? Is the GFFA a place where oral tradition is super powerful?Why would you expect to have a definitive answer on this before episode IX comes out?
at 09:39 on 12-01-2018
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but my impression from the movie was that all those people heard Leia's call for help, but they chickened out of sending any assistance for some reason.I'm pretty sure the reason was "the situation looks genuinely hopeless and they don't want to send their forces on a suicide mission which doesn't have any apparent chance of success". That may not be courageous from a Hollywood point of view, but it is not a ridiculous decision to make from a s...
- at 15:21 on 10-01-2018 link Not at all - there were numerous sympathisers across the galaxy who they tried to contact for support, but who weren't able to send anything. That network by itself will allow the Resistance to rebuild. And I don't see why it should be implausible that there'd be a time jump between 8 and 9 even though there wasn't much of one between 7 and 8: what sets "zero time jumps" as a rule from now on? For that matter, what better way to finesse the lack of Carrie Fisher than to have a time jump?
- at 13:50 on 10-01-2018 link Is it not the case that a non-speaking cast member will intrinsically seem less important in a movie because the very nature of the format puts attention on characters who actually say shit and do stuff? I will note that Rose has been added to the main cast in this movie too, so it's not like the core cast is this impregnable elite which new characters cannot join. How, exactly, would you make a non-speaking unnamed background cast member seem as important as Rose without having them speak...
at 09:53 on 10-01-2018
But nope: if you're a non-speaking cast member, you're useless. The resistance only needs like 10 people to survive.Hang on, don't numerous non-speaking cast members escape to form the core of the new resistance on the Falcon?
I said right after watching the film that it's only so long because everyone makes the dumbest choice possible, then refuses to talk about it with anyone. And it happens over and over again.In defence of Holdo: her p...
- at 10:46 on 06-01-2018 link Holy fuck, they actually put that in an Expanded Universe thing? That's abhorrent. :( I will stick to vicariously enjoying Expanded Universe material through the hilarious Expounded Universe podcast's epic-length takedowns of it. They're working their way through The Crystal Star right now and it's delightfully goofybubbles.
at 08:19 on 06-01-2018
As with Luke in The Last Jedi, I found myself much more comfortable with the film if I stopped trying to pretend that Hamill’s or Fisher’s characters were the same people as their OT characters.Well... in a very real sense they're not. They're 30 years older and a lot of shit happens in that span. 30 years ago I was grasping basic reading and numeracy. 30 years from now and I could end up with adult offspring having kids of their own. If people don't...
at 08:12 on 06-01-2018
For me, at least, that series is the worst and most unpleasant piece of Star Wars material ever published. Even the likes of The Crystal Star, The Glove of Darth Vader, or the much-maligned Holiday Special are merely goofy and stupid.You are saying there's Star Wars experiences more unpleasant than watching Itchy getting off to his VR holoporn?