Jamie is more an antique Roman than a Dane. He is straight and slender, and more than common tall. He is ill at reckoning, but he knows a hawk from a handsaw and is advised what he says, neither disturbed with the effect of wine nor heady-rash, provoked with raging ire. He is an unfee'd lawyer, but not covetous for gold. He is a foe to tyrants. He is not gamesome, and does lack some part of that quick spirit that is in Antony. He loves not wisely but too well. He is a better scholar than he thought he was, so he'll call for pen and ink and write his mind.
- This song is why Dar Williams' When I was a boy inspires a mixture of analysis and over-sharing.
- 'The noble revolt' by John Adamson The remarkable story, masterfully told, of the English revolution that almost was.
- Thoughts on cold storage A government consultation prompts questions about public libraries.
- Counter-factual criticism Is it helpful to ask how a work of art might have been different?
- A brand new Random Review Jamie revives an old Ferretbrain format and, characteristically, makes it longer and more wordy.
- Not wanting and wanting not How the English language is making it difficult for politicians to comment on the release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.
at 23:21 on 28-10-2013
So Pear took me to the Kitschies' Secret histories discussion panel event this evening and unless our ears were very much mistaken ...permalink
at 00:57 on 21-10-2013
@Alasdair & James: I think to some extent the issues you've pointed out with Welcome to Night Vale may be matters of taste and expectation. It isn't really horrifying or scary or d...permalink
at 21:47 on 27-08-2013
Just swinging by to say I played Gone home and enjoyed it — thanks, Bryn!permalink
at 12:48 on 18-08-2013
Anyone played Gone home yet? It looks quite interesting (and is discounted on Steam until Wednesday but only slightly).permalink
at 00:22 on 20-06-2013
Interesting! Shall spread the word. In other news, this is one of those 'f...permalink
at 13:49 on 15-06-2013
(I just realized that not everyone will know what Random Shakespeare is. Does anyone who's done more of them than I have want to explain?)permalink
- 21:35, 27-08-2013 on On flash-forwards:
Apparently flash-forwards are the new flash-bac...permalink
- 21:35, 24-08-2013 on Ferretbrain Presents the TeXt Factor Halloween Special Girl Books for Girls: Episode/Phase/Part Five:
I think Hush, hush must be the same thing — can there really be more than one person who would think that's a good ...permalink
- 15:27, 24-08-2013 on Ferretbrain Presents the TeXt Factor Halloween Special Girl Books for Girls: Episode/Phase/Part Five:
Oops, didn't realize you'd already posted that one! I tried doing a search of the site to see whether any of these had already ...permalink
- 11:36, 24-08-2013 on Ferretbrain Presents the TeXt Factor Halloween Special Girl Books for Girls: Episode/Phase/Part Five:
So there's a Vampire Academy film coming out next year and appar...permalink
- 23:49, 11-08-2013 on A Cornetto With an Odd Aftertaste:
Yeah, I think part of the trouble with interpreting which scenario is better is that the evidence presented by the film seems im...permalink
- 20:52, 10-08-2013 on A Cornetto With an Odd Aftertaste:
I had similar dissatisfied feelings about the messages of the film. As a piece of minute-by-minute entertainment I enjoyed it &...permalink