Jamie is more an antique Roman than a Dane. He is straight and slender, and more than common tall. He is ill at reckoning, but he knows a hawk from a handsaw and is advised what he says, neither disturbed with the effect of wine nor heady-rash, provoked with raging ire. He is an unfee'd lawyer, but not covetous for gold. He is a foe to tyrants. He is not gamesome, and does lack some part of that quick spirit that is in Antony. He loves not wisely but too well. He is a better scholar than he thought he was, so he'll call for pen and ink and write his mind.
- This song is why Dar Williams' When I was a boy inspires a mixture of analysis and over-sharing.
- 'The noble revolt' by John Adamson The remarkable story, masterfully told, of the English revolution that almost was.
- Thoughts on cold storage A government consultation prompts questions about public libraries.
- Counter-factual criticism Is it helpful to ask how a work of art might have been different?
- A brand new Random Review Jamie revives an old Ferretbrain format and, characteristically, makes it longer and more wordy.
- Not wanting and wanting not How the English language is making it difficult for politicians to comment on the release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.
at 19:58 on 05-08-2015
Meanwhile – you folks have got to check this out – 'Shut down Nouvella! ...permalink
at 19:50 on 05-08-2015
Wow, that's... not even bad in an entertaining way, just in a bad way.permalink
at 22:02 on 06-07-2015
What do we think about 'Fight Club: how masculine fragility is limiting innovation i...permalink
at 23:37 on 05-03-2015
Could be because the axes on the graphs didn't have proper values marked. Lack of scientific rigour is severely punished round here. ;)permalink
- at 19:45 on 13-12-2014 permalink
at 20:05 on 30-11-2014
I'm not sure, I'm afraid. On a Macbook (which is what I'm using) you can drag two fingers in opposite directions on the track-pad and it will zoom in. That's how I did it. If you're using a...permalink
- 23:25, 06-04-2015 on Ferretbrain Presents: The Complete Works of Shakespeare Episode 7 - King John:
SUCH a Crusader Kings game. I bet Henry was kicking himself for having accidentally awarded half his titles to his ...permalink
- 09:02, 27-03-2015 on Kickstopper: The God-Machine is Coming Down and We're Gonna Have a Party:
I wonder whether it works as well for completely new brands / products. Is there a risk of the industry becoming like West End ...permalink
- 17:44, 26-03-2015 on Kickstopper: The God-Machine is Coming Down and We're Gonna Have a Party:
I've found these last two Kickstopper articles really enjoyable, despite not having tried table-top RP since a few days in the l...permalink
- 12:20, 17-08-2014 on I Could Care Fewer:
On the subject of attempts to verbalize the extent to which one does or does not care, I've just heard someone out in the street...permalink
- 16:42, 03-08-2014 on This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Monogamous:
Aha, I just popped by to ask if people would recommend Fairyland -- I have friends who loved it, but when I...permalink
- 16:28, 03-08-2014 on Timeo Daneos et Donar Ferentes:
tombolae?:) <a href="http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=tombola... permalink