Jamie is more an antique Roman than a Dane. He is straight and slender, and more than common tall. He is ill at reckoning, but he knows a hawk from a handsaw and is advised what he says, neither disturbed with the effect of wine nor heady-rash, provoked with raging ire. He is an unfee'd lawyer, but not covetous for gold. He is a foe to tyrants. He is not gamesome, and does lack some part of that quick spirit that is in Antony. He loves not wisely but too well. He is a better scholar than he thought he was, so he'll call for pen and ink and write his mind.
- This song is why Dar Williams' When I was a boy inspires a mixture of analysis and over-sharing.
- 'The noble revolt' by John Adamson The remarkable story, masterfully told, of the English revolution that almost was.
- Thoughts on cold storage A government consultation prompts questions about public libraries.
- Counter-factual criticism Is it helpful to ask how a work of art might have been different?
- A brand new Random Review Jamie revives an old Ferretbrain format and, characteristically, makes it longer and more wordy.
- Not wanting and wanting not How the English language is making it difficult for politicians to comment on the release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.
at 09:35 on 17-03-2016
@Alice: I like the 'Ancillary' books a lot and am maybe just being a bit defensive about them, but I feel like that review is mainly criticising 'Ancillary Justice' for not doing things that i...permalink
at 08:49 on 16-03-2016
Here's a shiny thing: Spooky action at a distance is a new review blog with an interesting premise and an interesting format. The premise is that in...permalink
at 11:41 on 13-03-2016
A slight variant of the idea (though I'm not sure whether this would make it more or less work for you) would be to have a sort of semi-regular round-up / digest, which could include nibbles n...permalink
at 18:58 on 13-02-2016
Happy birthday Ichneumon! (Better late than never, I hope.) And hopping in (also a bit late) to the conversation about The force awakens: I confess my memory of the original t...permalink
at 17:48 on 09-01-2016
Gosh it's been years since I saw that film but I remember it being very good. Surprised to know it's so hard to get hold of! They certainly used to show it on UK television fairly often.permalink
at 23:06 on 05-01-2016
... the article editor itself only recognises the years from 2006 to 2015...The Decennium Bug strikes! permalink
- 22:25, 23-01-2016 on The Dreamer in the Citadel by Esther Rochon:
Or you might still follow Shims suggestion & learn french ... or even german ;):) Alas I'm no... permalink
- 14:42, 23-01-2016 on The Dreamer in the Citadel by Esther Rochon:
Well there's one tiny 'plus' about the fact that the book is only available in French and German, which is that it meant I got t...permalink
- 23:25, 06-04-2015 on Ferretbrain Presents: The Complete Works of Shakespeare Episode 7 - King John:
SUCH a Crusader Kings game. I bet Henry was kicking himself for having accidentally awarded half his titles to his ...permalink
- 09:02, 27-03-2015 on Kickstopper: The God-Machine is Coming Down and We're Gonna Have a Party:
I wonder whether it works as well for completely new brands / products. Is there a risk of the industry becoming like West End ...permalink
- 17:44, 26-03-2015 on Kickstopper: The God-Machine is Coming Down and We're Gonna Have a Party:
I've found these last two Kickstopper articles really enjoyable, despite not having tried table-top RP since a few days in the l...permalink
- 12:20, 17-08-2014 on I Could Care Fewer:
On the subject of attempts to verbalize the extent to which one does or does not care, I've just heard someone out in the street...permalink