Jamie is more an antique Roman than a Dane. He is straight and slender, and more than common tall. He is ill at reckoning, but he knows a hawk from a handsaw and is advised what he says, neither disturbed with the effect of wine nor heady-rash, provoked with raging ire. He is an unfee'd lawyer, but not covetous for gold. He is a foe to tyrants. He is not gamesome, and does lack some part of that quick spirit that is in Antony. He loves not wisely but too well. He is a better scholar than he thought he was, so he'll call for pen and ink and write his mind.
- This song is why Dar Williams' When I was a boy inspires a mixture of analysis and over-sharing.
- 'The noble revolt' by John Adamson The remarkable story, masterfully told, of the English revolution that almost was.
- Thoughts on cold storage A government consultation prompts questions about public libraries.
- Counter-factual criticism Is it helpful to ask how a work of art might have been different?
- A brand new Random Review Jamie revives an old Ferretbrain format and, characteristically, makes it longer and more wordy.
- Not wanting and wanting not How the English language is making it difficult for politicians to comment on the release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.
at 23:37 on 05-03-2015
Could be because the axes on the graphs didn't have proper values marked. Lack of scientific rigour is severely punished round here. ;)permalink
- at 19:45 on 13-12-2014 permalink
at 20:05 on 30-11-2014
I'm not sure, I'm afraid. On a Macbook (which is what I'm using) you can drag two fingers in opposite directions on the track-pad and it will zoom in. That's how I did it. If you're using a...permalink
at 01:24 on 16-11-2014
The source of the latest blowup is this. The initial blowup hap...permalink
at 12:40 on 27-09-2014
They report back with findings on any problematic context and the publishers have a chance to rectify their texts. If they refuse to do so, the body files a lawsuit at the European...permalink
at 19:08 on 16-09-2014
Cheriola, I don't know anything about Germany's federal states but what you're describing in terms of policy areas sounds similar. Scotland has a fair bit of control over culture, education, ...permalink
- 12:20, 17-08-2014 on I Could Care Fewer:
On the subject of attempts to verbalize the extent to which one does or does not care, I've just heard someone out in the street...permalink
- 16:42, 03-08-2014 on This Town Ain't Big Enough For the Monogamous:
Aha, I just popped by to ask if people would recommend Fairyland -- I have friends who loved it, but when I...permalink
- 16:28, 03-08-2014 on Timeo Daneos et Donar Ferentes:
tombolae?:) <a href="http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?allowed_in_frame=0&search=tombola... permalink
- 13:11, 03-08-2014 on I Could Care Fewer:
And, like I say, it generally isn't descriptive linguists who rant about how the language is being destroyed by sign...permalink
- 14:04, 01-08-2014 on I Could Care Fewer:
Dan, I was writing my comment above before I saw your latest so I hadn't appreciated that you doubt whether people have ever act...permalink
- 13:58, 01-08-2014 on I Could Care Fewer:
Hello folks! I'm still alive, for better or worse. A couple of thoughts on 'couldn't care less'. I think maybe part o...permalink