Jamie is more an antique Roman than a Dane. He is straight and slender, and more than common tall. He is ill at reckoning, but he knows a hawk from a handsaw and is advised what he says, neither disturbed with the effect of wine nor heady-rash, provoked with raging ire. He is an unfee'd lawyer, but not covetous for gold. He is a foe to tyrants. He is not gamesome, and does lack some part of that quick spirit that is in Antony. He loves not wisely but too well. He is a better scholar than he thought he was, so he'll call for pen and ink and write his mind.
- This song is why Dar Williams' When I was a boy inspires a mixture of analysis and over-sharing.
- 'The noble revolt' by John Adamson The remarkable story, masterfully told, of the English revolution that almost was.
- Thoughts on cold storage A government consultation prompts questions about public libraries.
- Counter-factual criticism Is it helpful to ask how a work of art might have been different?
- A brand new Random Review Jamie revives an old Ferretbrain format and, characteristically, makes it longer and more wordy.
- Not wanting and wanting not How the English language is making it difficult for politicians to comment on the release of Abdelbaset al-Megrahi.
at 11:30 on 20-04-2014
Hopping in slightly late (as usual) to the webcomics thread. It's been ages since I caught up with Bad machinery but I used to really like it. In...permalink
- at 20:57 on 02-04-2014 permalink
at 01:43 on 03-02-2014
People do remakes of films all the time; also TV shows, theatrical adaptations and new versions of songs. Why do books have to be different?It's interesting, thou... permalink
at 00:00 on 28-12-2013
It's this one. Not really opposite the station but fairly close, so I imagine it's the same one you're thinking of — I'd be surprised if there were t...permalink
at 13:10 on 25-12-2013
Maybe part of the plan is for Ryde to become a sort of major geek destination, like Glastonbury for New-Agers. Some people will travel quite a long way for niche stuff. There's a Doctor W...permalink
at 23:21 on 28-10-2013
So Pear took me to the Kitschies' Secret histories discussion panel event this evening and unless our ears were very much mistaken ...permalink
- 22:46, 20-03-2014 on Patrick Stewart's Claudius, King of Denmark: permalink
- 00:21, 04-01-2014 on Ferretbrain Presents: the TeXt Factor 2011, Episode 3 - Spot the Deliberate Error:
Well, forewarned is forearmed, so when I got to it I was able to go, 'Ah yes, this is the bit that Arthur told us about' and the...permalink
- 19:32, 29-12-2013 on Ferretbrain Presents: the TeXt Factor 2011, Episode 3 - Spot the Deliberate Error:
I finished reading The dark side of love a couple of days ago, and, wow, if there was ever a book that was not going to d...permalink
- 15:53, 22-12-2013 on The Stereotype Business: permalink
- 21:35, 27-08-2013 on On flash-forwards:
Apparently flash-forwards are the new flash-bac...permalink
- 21:35, 24-08-2013 on Ferretbrain Presents the TeXt Factor Halloween Special Girl Books for Girls: Episode/Phase/Part Five:
I think Hush, hush must be the same thing — can there really be more than one person who would think that's a good ...permalink