1. Likes lists. Obviously.
2. Has Views. Tries to shut up about them when appropriate. Often fails.
3. English major. Ex-music major (photo taken when still music major).
4. Comic fan. Some titles loved (in no order): Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Sean McKeever's Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Brian Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man (pre-Loeb) and Takio, Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman, Gail Simone's first run on Birds of Prey, Asterios Polyp, and Alison Bechdel's Fun Home (she drew a picture of herself wearing my hat at a signing :-). Hate Frank Miller, Mark Millar, Garth Ennis, Alan Moore, Joe Quesada, etc. Collects Jane Austen comic book adaptations by Marvel.
5. BBC costume drama fan - Andrew Davies and Sandy Welch in particular.
6. Dislikes Harry Potter and Hunger Games. (Other things which probably fit in this point are Star Trek, Doctor Who and all spinoffs, and pretty much all genre TV that has been popular after Firefly.)
7. Genres loved: Novel of manners (Austen, Dickens, Eliot); military sci-fi (Orson Scott Card, Aaron Allston, Timothy Zahn, Heinlein, John Scalzi, Elizabeth Moon); detective (Sherlock Holmes, Lord Peter Wimsey, Adam Dalgliesh, Mary Russell); fantasy high, low, and urban - and Regency, of course :-) (Lewis, Tolkien, Tamora Pierce, Gillian Bradshaw, Robin McKinley, Mary Robinette Kowal, Seanan McGuire).
8. Animation snob. Pixar fan, but less than excited about their last two films and their next six. Thrilled with Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. Tangled and Beauty and the Beast are favorite Disney Princess films, and have a soft spot for the dreadful Tinker Bell films. The Incredibles is the best capepunk movie ever made. Miyazaki is great (particularly Princess Mononoke).
9. Has blog, will travel (er, respond to comments) :-)
at 18:54 on 10-04-2017
As someone who sorta follows Marvel comics these days (not nearly as closely as DC), I think the real problem isn't diversity, but crummy comics and overreliance on events that have had two se...permalink
at 02:45 on 07-01-2017
The one thing I'm not sure about was the number of Beckinsale seat shots. Since the director is Anna Foerster, maybe fewer?permalink
at 17:04 on 06-01-2017
So, I saw Underworld 5: Someone Discovered New Vampire Superpowers Rules in the Cupboard Back There last night, and it was hilarious. The director was clearly not really a fan of the last film...permalink
at 22:33 on 30-09-2016
I enjoyed those articles as well. I love comics, but I am tired of writers who hector and lecture and alienate their audience, instead of developing a persona which makes people want to read t...permalink
at 14:20 on 17-04-2015
I've been watching iZombie, and quite enjoying it, in large part because it feels so tonally similar to Veronica Mars season 1. I also enjoyed the film and the two novels that were tacked ont...permalink
at 14:56 on 09-04-2015
That's a really great video, Alasdair, thanks for linking! I personally don't really like the FPS genre, but the video is thoughtful, interesting, and well presented (only complaint is that it...permalink
- 18:24, 26-01-2017 on The Self-Hating Pantomime:
Kind of amusingly, I just watched Batman Forever for the first time (I actually watched Batman and Robin a few years ago), and I...permalink
- 16:21, 20-01-2015 on The Man Whose Dicks Weren't All Exactly Alike:
Has anyone checked out the Amazon "Man in the High Castle" pilot? I haven't gotten to the novel yet, but I did watch the episode...permalink
- 06:40, 09-05-2014 on Episode 10 - The Final!:
Sorry, that was needlessly cagey. Would the Ferrets be upset if I did that with my friends?permalink
- 05:38, 08-05-2014 on Episode 10 - The Final!:
So...I was wondering if the Ferrets would be upset if the Text Factor format was used for other podcasts? With proper credit giv...permalink
- 16:56, 05-05-2014 on Ferretbrain Presents the TeXt Factor Halloween Special Girl Books for Girls: Episode/Phase/Part Five:
I'm still working through my thoughts on the Vampire Academy film (didn't help that I watched it before I read the book, and I'm...permalink
- 05:41, 26-03-2013 on Better If You Put Your Brain To Sleep:
Finally got around to watching this, and it was hilarious and silly and awesome. But I thought the point of the first f...permalink