1. Likes lists. Obviously.
2. Has Views. Tries to shut up about them when appropriate. Often fails.
3. English major. Ex-music major (photo taken when still music major).
4. Comic fan. Some titles loved (in no order): Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, Sean McKeever's Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, Brian Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man (pre-Loeb) and Takio, Star Wars: X-Wing Rogue Squadron, Greg Rucka's Wonder Woman, Gail Simone's first run on Birds of Prey, Asterios Polyp, and Alison Bechdel's Fun Home (she drew a picture of herself wearing my hat at a signing :-). Hate Frank Miller, Mark Millar, Garth Ennis, Alan Moore, Joe Quesada, etc. Collects Jane Austen comic book adaptations by Marvel.
5. BBC costume drama fan - Andrew Davies and Sandy Welch in particular.
6. Dislikes Harry Potter and Hunger Games. (Other things which probably fit in this point are Star Trek, Doctor Who and all spinoffs, and pretty much all genre TV that has been popular after Firefly.)
7. Genres loved: Novel of manners (Austen, Dickens, Eliot); military sci-fi (Orson Scott Card, Aaron Allston, Timothy Zahn, Heinlein, John Scalzi, Elizabeth Moon); detective (Sherlock Holmes, Lord Peter Wimsey, Adam Dalgliesh, Mary Russell); fantasy high, low, and urban - and Regency, of course :-) (Lewis, Tolkien, Tamora Pierce, Gillian Bradshaw, Robin McKinley, Mary Robinette Kowal, Seanan McGuire).
8. Animation snob. Pixar fan, but less than excited about their last two films and their next six. Thrilled with Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. Tangled and Beauty and the Beast are favorite Disney Princess films, and have a soft spot for the dreadful Tinker Bell films. The Incredibles is the best capepunk movie ever made. Miyazaki is great (particularly Princess Mononoke).
9. Has blog, will travel (er, respond to comments) :-)
at 16:53 on 26-01-2018
Arthur - I would LOVE to read a review of the Hainish books that don't get read as much. The Dispossessed is one of the most beautiful books I've ever read, and I really enjoyed The Telling, R...permalink
at 22:00 on 24-01-2018
So, Ursula Le Guin has passed away. I know she has kind of a mixed ferretbrain response, but I think she's a true great in science fiction and fantasy - not just politically, but from the shee...permalink
at 16:03 on 17-01-2018
Probably not a great topic for the playpen. If you want to send me a message on my blog, or hunt me down on another social media platform for a DM or PM or something, I'd be fine with that.permalink
at 03:56 on 17-01-2018
Um. Unless I'm a lot less unusual among the ferrets than I thought, not likely.permalink
at 16:58 on 16-01-2018
Robinson: I have no idea what could ever make me want to read Crucible. Even if you told me Wedge Antilles and Tycho Celchu save the day, I wouldn't read it. Denning is just that bad in my exp...permalink
at 14:52 on 15-01-2018
I've skimmed a couple of Golden StarCraft novels at the bookstore, and they're just not very impressive. I haven't even tried her new Star Wars stuff. Completely agree that the preque...permalink
- 04:14, 09-07-2017 on Ferretnibbles 2 - Beren and Lúthien, Shin Megami Tensei on the 3DS, and Sithrak Tracts:
I hope so. That would make me beyond happy - it's the one Human/Elf marriage that has the potential for a different ending than ...permalink
- 02:32, 09-07-2017 on Ferretnibbles 2 - Beren and Lúthien, Shin Megami Tensei on the 3DS, and Sithrak Tracts:
I bought Beren and Luthien the day it came out, and really enjoyed it, despite, as you say, having read most of it before in The...permalink
- 02:28, 09-07-2017 on Underworld: Bit Awkward:
Glad you got to see it, underwhelming as it was. I was also disappointed that they got rid of pretty much everything in Awakened...permalink
- 18:24, 26-01-2017 on The Self-Hating Pantomime:
Kind of amusingly, I just watched Batman Forever for the first time (I actually watched Batman and Robin a few years ago), and I...permalink
- 16:21, 20-01-2015 on The Man Whose Dicks Weren't All Exactly Alike:
Has anyone checked out the Amazon "Man in the High Castle" pilot? I haven't gotten to the novel yet, but I did watch the episode...permalink
- 06:40, 09-05-2014 on Episode 10 - The Final!:
Sorry, that was needlessly cagey. Would the Ferrets be upset if I did that with my friends?permalink